by Lois Ehlert
Something special is happening at Off the Shelf during the month of July! In celebration of fresh food, gardening and the tastes of summer we will be presenting a month-long celebration of recipes and art focusing on the culinary journey found in Lois Ehlert’s Eating the Alphabet.
Come back every day for the featured letter/food and find a yummy, kid-friendly recipe and a fun activity to go along with it. We are quite excited about this adventure and we hope you will join in the fun of traveling though the alphabet the culinary way.
Eating the Alphabet is a tasty romp through the alphabet featuring colorful watercolor collage illustrations that make the book as appealing to the eyes as the featured foods are to the taste buds. A fruit or vegetable, some familiar and others a little more exotic to many readers represent each letter.
Don’t make the mistake of passing this creative book off as another alphabet book solely for the younger set. A glossary at the end includes information paragraphs about each food that will educate and intrigue even older readers.
A to Z Recipes and Activities
Check back every day in July for a new recipe and activity!
- A is for Avocado: Guacamole Recipe and Grow an Avocado
- B is for Beets: Baked Beet Chips and Beet Paint
- C is for Carrots: Carrot Lemonade and Rabbit Carrot Prints
- D is for Dates: Date Dip and How Dates are Grown
- E is for Eggplant: Eggplant Pizzas and Purple Color Mixing
- F is for Figs: Fig Nut-ons and Fig Field Trip
- G is for Grapes: Fresh Grape Soda and Grapes Pictures
- H is for Herbs: Herb Salad Dressing and Drying Herbs
- I is for Iceberg Lettuce: Lettuce Tacos and A Story About Growing Lettuce
- J is for Jicama: Jicama Apple Slaw
- K is for Kale: Peanut-Pineapple Kale Stew and Kalebrush Painting
- L is for Lemon: Lemon Blueberry Pancakes and Lemon Invisible Ink
- M is for Melon: Melon Agua Fresca and Melon Collage
- N is for Navel Orange: Navel Orange Snack Cake and Navel Orange Cup Bird Feeder
- O is for Onion: Oven-Baked Onion Rings and Textured Onion Picture
- P is for Potato: Pesto Potato Salad and Rolling Potato Painting
- Q is for Quinoa: Fruity Quinoa Breakfast Cookies and Quinoa "Glitter" Art
- R is for Raspberry: Raspberry Sherbet and Raspberry Pointillism
- S is for Sweet Potato: Sweet Potato Fries and Dried Sweet Potato Garland
- T is for Tomato: Homemade Tomato Ketchup and Ketchup Masterpieces
- U is for Upside Down Salad
- V is for Vegetables: Summer Vegetable Soup and Abstract Corn Cob Painting
- W is for Watermelon: Watermelon Waldorf Salad
- X is Xigua: Xigua Salsa
- Y is for Yam: Yam Butter and Sweet Potato Garland Update
- Z is for Zucchini: Cheesy Zucchini Cakes and Zucchini Sculptures