It would be next to impossible to enjoy this through-the-house-follow-the-mouse romp without some yummy chocolate chip cookies. Although this is a special treat, it has heart healthy oats and bittersweet chocolate (The cookies are sweet enough that you don't need milk chocolate or even semi-sweet chocolate).
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
Suggested steps for yound readers to do: Measuring ingredients; Stiring ingredients; droping dough onto cookie sheets
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Spray to cookie sheets with nonstick spray.
- Place oats in a blender or food processor and grind until they resemble flour, about 20 to 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl, place ground oats, flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, beat butter, oil, sugars, egg and vanilla until creamy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until combined.
- Stir in chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the greased sheets.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden.
- Cool about 5 minutes on cookie sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
More If You Give a Mouse a Cookie coming up this week! Sign up for e-mail updates here.