This is the perfect easy-prep, springtime salad. Kids will love to wash the carrots and parsley, tear the parsley leaves, and mix the carrots, parsley, and dressing together. How many ingredients from this salad did Peter find in Mr. McGregor’s garden?
Carrot and Parsley Salad
adapted from Fanny at Chez Panisse: A Child's Restaurant Adventures with 46 Recipes by Alice Waters
- 3 large carrots
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1/2 small clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste, about 1/8 teaspoon
- Peel and wash the carrots. (Little hands are great at washing carrots!)
- Shred the carrots using either the large holes on a box grater or the shredding blade of a food processor.
- Pick the leaves off the half bunch of parsley, then wash and dry the leaves. Chop leaves into small pieces.
- To make the dressing, peel the clove of garlic, cut in half, then finely chop one half to make a puree. Place garlic in a large bowl and add the vinegar and oil and mix together.
- Stir carrots and parsley into the garlic mixture, season with salt and stir until thoroughly mixed. Enjoy!