Carrots are probably one of the top kid-favorite veggies, with their irresistible bright color and sweet crunch. Here's a reimagined carrot recipe: Carrot Lemonade! Sweetened with only the carrots and pineapple juice, it is a healthy way to cool off in the summer.
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, July/August 2011
- 1 pound carrots, about 6 medium
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice, from about 6-7 lemons
- Wash and peel carrots. Slice into large pieces and place in a medium saucepan with the 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until very tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once carrots are cooked, do not drain. Cool carrots slightly. Transfer to a blender with 1 cup pineapple juice and blend until smooth.
- Pour carrot mixture into a pitcher and add remaining pineapple juice and the lemon juice. Stir well and chill. Serve over ice.
Note: the carrot lemonade might thicken as it chills. Add water to reach desired consistency.
C is also for
- On the Farm Cornmeal Pancakes
- Carrot Apple Salad with Feta Dressing
- Cherry Almond Butter
- Cocoa-Carrot Snack Cake
For a fun art activity using carrots, try our Rabbit Carrot Prints!