What's the Difference Between a Yam and a Sweet Potato?
" A true yam is a starchy edible tuber that is generally imported from the Caribbean. It differs greatly from the sweet potato in taste, texture, appearance and family."
For ease we are using Yam and Sweet Potato interchangeably, but true yams would not work in this recipe! Learn all the differences from the North Carolina Sweet Potato Board.
This is the perfect recipe to transition into cozy fall flavors. Serve spread on toast, waffles, or graham crackers.
Y is for Yam Butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut sweet potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes. Add to boiling water and cook until very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain cubes and mash with a fork.
- Measure out 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (reserving leftovers for another use) and add to pot. Stir in honey, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat until thick and smooth, about 25 minutes.
Sweet Potato Garland Update
A few days ago we made a Dried Sweet Potato Garland, which smells so lovely, like a sweet potato pie hanging from your mantle or on the wall! The chunks of sweet potato that strung will shrink up to 50%, so here's an update.
After about 5 days the garland will be completely dry and ready to hang!