You've probably heard of one bowl cake recipes, but have you ever heard of one mixed right in the baking pan? King Arthur Flour's newsletter, the Baking Sheet, featured just this kind of recipe in their Autumn 2012 issue, and it seemed perfect for this simple, sweet story of It's My Birthday.
To make it extra special we topped ours with a banana chocolate glaze, made from only mashed bananas, cocoa, and lemon juice.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 8-inch round or
square cake pan, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Stir in the oil, vinegar, vanilla, and milk until well mixed.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before topping with glaze.
- 1/2 banana
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- In a bowl mash the banana with lemon juice.
- Stir in powdered sugar and cocoa until smooth.