This recipe was inspired by Jan Brett's Gingerbread Baby. To learn more about the book and to see all our Gingerbread Baby activities, click here.
Sure, you could make any regular gingerbread cookie, soft and round or crispy and gingerbread man-shaped, to celebrate Gingerbread Baby, but why not try something completely new? Like a sweet, grilled gingerbread sandwich, filled with peanut butter and peach jam? Sounds good, right?
We started with a basic gingerbread loaf. You could use any recipe for gingerbread loaf that you like; even a mix would work. After chilling the bread to firm up a bit, slice and spread with peanut butter and peach jam, then grill until filling is melty.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
- In a separate medium bowl, stir together buttermilk and vanilla until combined.
- Place butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add molasses and combine. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
- Scrape down sides of bowl. Add 1/3 of flour mixture and beat until just combined. Add half of buttermilk and beat until combined. Repeat with remaining flour and butter milk, ending with the third flour addition.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 sandwich.
- 2 1/2-inch slices gingerbread
- peanut butter
- peach jam
- butter or margarine
- Spread both slices of gingerbread with desired about of peanut butter. Spread one slice with peach jam. Sandwich two pieces together.
- Spread outside of sandwiches with butter or margarine.
- Spray covered skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium low until cooking surface is warm. Turn heat down to low. Cook sandwich, flipping halfway through, until both sides are golden brown and filling is gooey and melty.
- Serve with a cold glass of milk, or a hot mug of cocoa!