This recipe was inspired by Otto the Book Bear . To learn more about the book and to see all our Otto the Book Bear activities, click here.
Use our basic bread recipe, your own favorite bread recipe, or even frozen bread dough to make adorable teddy bear breads.
It might look like a complicated recipe, but once the dough is made it is pretty straightforward: play with dough and form it into a bear! For step by step pictures and instructions, see our How to Make Teddy Bear Bread Snapguide.
Teddy Bear Bread
- 2 cups warm water (about 115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or one packet)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour ( I used 1/2 all purpose, 1/2 white whole wheat)
- Combine water and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, and stir to dissolve the yeast.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture. Turn the mixer on low speed and knead for 4-5 minutes, until smooth.
- Divide dough into half and set one half aside for second bear. Divide remaining dough in half. One of these halves will be the body. Divide second half in two, one for head and one for arms and legs.
- Stretch largest piece into a rectangle roll up to form body.
- From the piece designated for the head, pinch off three pieces to form ears and snout.
- Form dough for head into a ball and place above body. Place ears and snout on head.
- Divide piece of dough designated for arms and legs into four equal pieces. Form into arms and legs and place against body. All pieces will stick together as the dough rises.
- Make second bear from remaining dough. Place both bears on a baking sheet. Butter dough or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 to 90 minutes.
- Toward end of rising time, heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To add eyes and noses, microwave 6 chocolate chips for about 10 to 20 seconds, until the chips haven't melted but bottoms are soft. Place eyes and nose on each bear. Enjoy!