Make this recipe today to prepare for our activity coming up tomorrow: a Cheese Tasting. Anatole makes his honest living as a cheese taster (who better than a mouse?) by trying many different varieties each night at the factory where he works.
These are basic wheat crackers, perfect as a neutral base for tasting different cheeses. Plus, it is always fun to make snacks that children usually expect to come out of a package. Instead they get to see the step by step process, from mixing to baking and, of course, tasting!
Young Readers in the Kitchen
Kids can help to measure and mix ingredients, roll out dough, and cut crackers before baking.
adapted from Family Fun's Sesame Herb Crackers
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat crackers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar and salt. Add softened butter and use hands to thoroughly blend it into flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk to well and stir to form a rough dough. If it seems very dry, add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time.
- Turn dough out onto counter or workspace. Knead until dough is smooth and all dry ingredients are incorporated. You can lightly flour the counter if the dough wants to stick, but I find that it is easier to incorporate everything if it is not floured.
- Divide dough in half. Place one half of the dough on a large piece of parchment paper. Roll out with a rolling pin until roughly 16 by 9 inches. The dough will stick to the parchment paper as you roll it out; this is much easier than trying to transfer a large piece of delicate dough to a baking sheet. You want to roll it very thin so that the crackers will be crispy; if it is too thick they will be tough and chewy.
- Transfer parchment paper to a baking sheet. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into desired cracker sizes. You don't have to separate the crackers after cutting.
- Repeat with other half of dough. Bake crackers for about 15 minutes, rotating halfway through bake time, until golden brown.