Happy 2015! Getting organized is a popular trend with the start of every new year, and we are starting off the year with a new tool to help you (and us) plan ahead and stay on track. Starting with this week's book and continuing through the end of January, you can find upcoming books, craft supplies beyond your basic art shelf items, and a shopping list of items you may not have in you pantry. Then, come back each week to discover how you and your young reader can use these items to bring enchanting picture books to life! See you soon!
The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
- boxes of various sizes
- Interesting recyclables
- Masking tape
- Bread, preferably whole wheat
- Cheese slices
- Grape tomatoes
- Pretzel sticks
Goldilocks And The Three Bears by Jan Brett
- Round recyclable plastic container like a butter tub
- Newspapers and or magazine pages to tear into strips
- Old fashioned oats or steel cut oats
- Frozen mixed berries
- Raw almonds
The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett
- Craft supplies
- Brown paper lunch bags
- Fuzzy Yarn
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Vegetable broth
More ways to celebrate in January with Off the Shelf:
- January is National Soup Month. Try making Extra Yarn Yarn Soup.
- January is National Oatmeal Month. Try Banana Brown Sugar Baked Oatmeal or Whole Wheat Apple Oatmeal Cookies.
- January is National Hot Tea Month. Have a tea party with Miss Spider's Tea Party and serve Miss Spider's Banana Tea Cakes and Miss Spider's Cinnamon Milk with Tea.
- January 15 is National Hat Day. Read The Hat by Jan Brett.
- January 16 is Appreciate a Dragon Day! Read The Knight and the Dragon by Tomie dePaola.
- January 18 A.A. Milne's birthday and Winnie the Pooh Day. Read from a collection of A.A. Milnes book, including Winnie the Pooh. Then try Honey Hot Chocolate (for a Very Blusterous Day Outside)!
- January 19 is National Popcorn Day. Make Hot Cocoa Popcorn!
- January 20 is Penguin Awareness Day. Read One Cool Friend.
- January 21 is Squirrel Appreciation Day. Read Miss Suzy.
- January 23 is National Pie Day. Make a Painted and Stamped Apple Pie Craft.
- January 29 is Rosemary Wells's birthday. Read McDuff and the Baby.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Off the Shelf!